While there are many questions going around about whether or not it is necessary to have air ducts cleaned, the answer is no, but they should be cleaned. Many property owners who have hired an air duct cleaning service, like ServiceMaster of North Texas, have been happy with the results as they have notice a significant difference in the indoor air quality.
According to our experts and the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, it is highly recommended to have them cleaned every 3 – 5 years. But depending on the circumstances, such as the number of pets and how much they shed, the age of the air ducts, and the amount of allergens outside. It can also include a variety of other factors, but those mentioned above will have the most impact.
The Need for Clean Air Ducts
Despite the general recommendation of every 3 – 5 years, you should be aware of the signs that they should be cleaned, such as the following:
- An infestation of the home, such as insect, rodents, or vermin that are coming through the air supply and return registers.
- A cloud of dust shoots out from the registers upon turning on the HVAC system.
- You find visible evidence of mold on the air ducts.
One of the best ways to tell when they need to be cleaned is removing the air vent from the floor or ceiling and inspecting the ducts for black debris. This means that dust has been recycled continuously through the system and should be removed as soon as possible.
Another sign is when changing your HVAC filter, you see a buildup of dust on the system itself.
Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
There are a number of benefits for cleaning air ducts, especially for those with severe allergy and asthma complications. Here is the full list of benefits:
- Improving indoor air quality, removing dust, pollen, and other allergens from the air
- Keeping dust off of household surfaces
- Relieving asthma and allergy symptoms
- Allowing the dryer to run more efficiently
- Keeping electricity costs down
- Improving heating and cooling efficiency
How Often to Clean Air Ducts
Even when the air ducts have been cleaned less than 3 years ago, there are other circumstances for which you would want to consider another professional duct cleaning. These include all of the following:
- After building a new home. While everything is in fact brand new, or like new, many debris, including sawdust, drywall dust, other allergens are probably clogging up the duct.
- After a remodeling project. Even if the remodeling job was kept to one room, the air register in that room are likely to pull the debris in the air and spread it throughout the property. It’s best to have one more professional cleaning before turning on the HVAC system.
- After moving into a home. You never know what the previous owners have done with the house, despite their claims. Unless you have seen their statement within the past 3 years, it’s best to schedule another appointment just in case.
- Pets in the home. Many of us would never give up our dog or cat, no matter how much they shed. But keep in mind that cleaning must be done more often with a furry friend in the house.
How to Hire a Trustworthy Company
Despite what many companies claim, their services are a scam, offering a full cleaning for just $50. While the price sounds tempting, it’s too good to be true. They are often less reputable, are not licensed, and are not recommended by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association.
Here are the qualities of a reputable air duct cleaning company:
- The job takes 2-4 hours. If any service claims to do it in under one, they will likely not have accomplished anything.
- A reputable air duct cleaning company will charge anywhere from $400-$1,000 to clean the ducts. This includes cleaning all components, including: the air registers, air coils, furnace, drip pans, grilles and diffusers, and more, using professional cleaning equipment and HEPA filters.
- A trustworthy service will also use powerful, truck-mounted vacuum systems that pull the dirt and debris from the ducts into the tank.
- Ask them if they are recommended by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, and what kinds of standards they follow to maintain their reputation.
ServiceMaster of North Texas
Despite numerous offers of $50 and $75 air duct cleaning, ServiceMaster of North Texas is a reputable name in the Dallas, TX area. Not only do we comply with all of the qualities mentioned above, but our professionals will speak the truth and show you if you have a bigger problem than just dirty ducts.
If you do have a problem, we can also conduct further cleaning, such as removing mold in and around the HVAC system. Don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have noticed your air ducts need to be cleaned. We provide free estimates!